Dark December targets an adult audience and may include profanity, nudity and sexual situations.
Thank you, Beth, for your friendship, support, generosity, and creativity.


A Shared Journey
The Collaboration: EXPLANATION AND GUIDE

Dark December, The Other Side of the Stage, Rising Above, South Beach and Rafe's Journal are written by two different authors.

However, the worlds, characters, events and story lines intersect, overlap, collide and impact each other. Our chapters build on each other's work. Because this is complex and can be confusing, we built a Table of Contents which shows the order we wrote the chapters, and the order in which they should be read. You can find it in the link bar above.


Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chapter 29 ~ Climax

Evergreen Arena, North America ~ Wednesday 6:45PM

Cooper stood in the middle of the outdoor arena nestled in the midst of tall city buildings and breathed deeply. The evening air smelled crisp, clean considering its location. The sounds of cars motoring past in the distance mingled with the sounds of men hauling equipment out of trucks and setting up the stage as rock music blasted.

He leaned against the iron rails and reminisced. It had been a long few months but they were finally on familiar ground. Heydon and Daniel had come to some sort of tentative truce; at least they weren't verbally or physically abusing each other although the tension remained.

Looking up at the evening sky, he smiled wistfully. Home, it felt good to be back, close enough for a long weekend visit with Beth and Rainie when he could manage but still too far for comfort. Vague thoughts would plague him ever since her visit in Paris, his unease over Ryan, Rafe's constant innuendos.

Folding his arms Cooper decided they all needed to let off some steam. The band was tired, jet lagged and homesick. A little rest and relaxation would regenerate everyone. Hearing the sound of heavy footfalls from behind him, Coop knew Slim was approaching. "The car is waiting to take everyone to the hotel. Are you ready to go?" Slim asked.

"I don't think I want to go to the hotel yet," Cooper said. "Can you get in contact with Melinda Owen and get us a reservation for a late supper? Tell her I will compensate her for the late notice." Slim studied him carefully before asking, "Is this a private dinner or do you want company?"

Laughing easily, Cooper replied, "Get everyone together Slim. Tell Melinda to open a tab for me. She'll know what I want." Slim wasn't sure he liked the idea and his feelings showed in his expression, "Look Coop, I'm not so sure you want everyone going to Melinda's."

Walking away briskly Cooper laughed again, "I'm sure Slim. Make it happen." Stopping abruptly he turned, a boyish grin spread across his face, "One more thing, tell everyone to make sure their wallets are fat."

Chameleon ~ 7:25PM

It was rare that Melinda Owen would close down the club for a private party. However, for Cooper Stanfield she would always make an exception. He and the band members had always observed the rules, things never got out of hand, and he was very generous with his compensation.

Melinda hand selected the girls that would be allowed to work that evening's shift. Privacy was tantamount for Cooper; there would be no accidental tabloid stories as a result. She prided herself and her business on discretion and took that into consideration when she hired her staff.


"It is nice to see you again, Cooper. It has been a long time," she greeted him warmly. Cooper returned her smile, "I appreciate you accommodating us at the last minute Mel." Quickly scanning the room, allowing his eyes to linger briefly on the girls who casually walked around, Cooper commented, "You've made a few changes."

Laughing softly, Melinda answered, "Yes, a couple. Let me take you upstairs."

It didn't take long for everyone to relax. Tyler found a formidable competitor in Heydon at the pool table. Stevie, now in the end of her second trimester, stayed at the hotel with Anya. It had become increasingly more difficult for her to perform so she reluctantly agreed to let Anya fill in.

Daniel had quickly disappeared with an interesting looking girl as Slim sat down at the poker table. Cooper settled near the bar and engaged in a lively flirtation with a wispy blonde who did her level best to entice him into a private room.

"I don't remember seeing you here before; what's your name?" Cooper asked her. "I'm Lyra," she responded in her most seductive voice. "If you like, I could dance for you...privately," she cooed suggestively.

Cooper leaned in, "Is that what you do, dance?" His eyes roamed casually over her leaving her feeling hot and weak. "You must have some very interesting moves," his mouth formed a crooked smile as he watched her.

Walking around her slowly, Cooper moved so close to her she could feel his warm breath on her bare shoulders sending a thrill deep inside her as an involuntary moan escaped her lips.

"Lyra," his rough voice whispered against her shoulder, "do you know what I want. What I'd like you to do for me?"

She shuddered again, her knees barely able to hold her upright, "Tell me," she breathed as Cooper slowly, sensually moved around her, his breath caressing her skin.

Lyra's body flushed with heat from his proximity. "I'd like," his mouth moved softly against her neck, "a shot of Jack."

Trembling, Lyra walked toward the bar, her pulse racing, as she poured Jack Daniels into a glass. Cooper flashed another smile at her as he moved easily around the room. "Hello Cooper," a silky voice spoke from behind.

Cooper turned and let out a laugh. "The last time I saw you your hair was black, Rhapsody. Are you still going by that name or did that change as well?" he commented. "I find that men seem to have a particular fantasy about blondes. I do still have some black hair though," she teased as her eyes raked over Coop's body.

Thoroughly enjoying the game, Cooper turned up the heat, "You always were versatile. I'll bet you have quite a few new tricks in your arsenal." His eyes lingered on her mouth.

She parted her supple ruby lips as if inviting him to taste them, "Perhaps I could show you," she pressed her breasts as close to Cooper as she dared without coming into contact. His eyes focused on the gentle rise and fall of her ample breasts leaving a hot trail as they traced every curve and contour.

"You keep those luscious lips of yours nice and warm," Cooper smiled enigmatically at her leaving her trembling as he slowly walked away and sat down at the poker table.




The mild scent of jasmine gently hung in the uncommonly warm night air as Rafe stood outside of the old unassuming Victorian. It didn't look like much from the outside. Old clapboard siding and simple trim but it had a reputation as a high class club, unique in its decor and services.

Rafe was intrigued by the invitation and the place itself. If he was going to get anything out of Cooper, this might be the one night his would let his guard down. He slowly walked toward the building and pushed open the doors. The interior was elegantly decorated; a sweeping staircase rose in the center of the entry. Glancing around he noticed a bar to his left and what looked like private dining rooms and lounges to his right. If he didn't know better, Rafe would have thought he was in someone's home.

He was immediately greeted by an attractive brunette whose voice was as smooth and rich as dark honey, "Welcome to Chameleon, Mr. Taylor. Would you like to start in the bar or go straight upstairs?" The name seemed to fit the place; it certainly looked different from the outside. Rafe surmised there were many things that weren't what they seemed here. Amused that she would know his name, he flashed a smile and replied, "I'll just go on up with the big boys."

From somewhere Rafe didn't notice, an attractive girl appeared and escorted him up the stairs. He followed behind allowing his eyes to peruse her scantily clad body as she swayed her hips invitingly. When they reached the top of the stairs, she turned and smiled, "The elevator over here will take you up to the gaming rooms."

He grinned wryly at a long forgotten memory of sneaking into the "gentlemen's club" his stepfather frequented. She turned once more and walked with him to the elevator, inserted a key and opened the door.

Smiling up at him again, she cooed, "If you need anything else, anything at all, my name is Sienna."

"Of course it is...you don't ever have trouble with the health inspector serving people dressed like that?" he asked her pointedly. She laughed, soft and lilting, "The health inspector is a dear friend of the club. Enjoy your evening Mr. Taylor."

Rafe stepped into the elevator and depressed the button that would take him to the third floor. He wanted a drink and he wanted that interview. Cooper wasn't going to sidestep him any longer, not if he could prevent it. If he had to match him drink for drink, dollar for dollar, he would come away with what he wanted.

As the doors quietly slid open, stepped out and surveyed the room with interest. He listened as two of the girls discussed Cooper. "If he looked twice at me I'd do him for free," the younger girl gushed. The more seasoned one chided, "Melinda has strict hands-off policy. You don't touch unless invited, especially Cooper, and that isn't likely to happen. He doesn't come here for that." Right, thought Rafe.

"Remember the twins back in Denver? Damn those two were something," Daniel shook his head and smiled. Slim shot an amused glance at Cooper, "Cara and Mia...gorgeous redheads. They were quite a formidable pair," Slim's deep voice rumbled.

Cooper laughed, "That they were; remember the early days when we had that tour bus?" "After that show in Chicago," Slim interrupted, "they cornered us a begged us to take them for a ride!"

"The only begging I remember was you, man," Cooper teased. "Mia knew exactly how to drive you wild."

Slim looked puzzled, "You sure that was Mia? How could you even tell them apart?" A knowing grin broke out on Cooper's face, "Cara had an interesting tattoo."

Confused, Daniel looked at both of them, "I remember fucking both of them and I don't recall a tattoo." "You were probably too shitfaced to notice," Heydon grumbled from across the room. Looking back at Cooper, Danny asked, "No, I'm sure I would have remembered a tattoo, drunk or not. Where was it?"

Noticing Rafe across the room, Slim quickly attempted to diffuse the subject, "It doesn't matter Danny." "No, I want to know," Daniel insisted. "It was on her thigh," Slim hastily answered.

"Shit Slim that wasn't her thigh...it was a small red serpent way up high between her legs. Its tongue stretched out toward this thin gold piercing that went through her..." Standing suddenly, Slim called out, "Rafe! Come on in and join us," as he cast a warning look at Coop.

Glancing over at Rafe briefly, Cooper spoke, "Onyx, I think I've about taken as much money from you as you can afford to lose tonight. Why don't you let Rafe have a seat?" Slipping into the chair, Rafe threw down his money and leveled that stare on Coop. Melinda quickly exchanged his cash for poker chips. "Good luck gentlemen," she turned and headed toward the bar.

"You feeling lucky tonight, Rafe? That stack of chips isn't much," Cooper asked as he absently shuffled the chips in front of him. "I figure I don't need much since I'll be walking away with yours," he responded.

"I thought the whole idea was to let off steam and relax, Coop," Slim said. Cooper didn't smile nor did he look at Slim, "Why don't you and Danny find something else to amuse you. I think my friend here wants to raise the stakes."

Rafe sat back, expressionless except for the intense focus in his eyes. One of the girls approached him at the table, "What can I get you from the bar?" Turning his attention to the petite blonde Rafe swept his eyes along her body,"I'll have whatever he's having," he responded gesturing toward Cooper, "but make it a double."

Although he was smiling, Cooper's eyes were not, "Line 'em up sweetheart; all right Rafe, let's see what you've got."

As Daniel eyed one of the bartenders, he murmured to Slim, "Looks like someone isn't going to leave this room standing tonight." Slim leaned on the bar, watching the two men who sat there sizing each other up and grumbled, "Yeah, it's on now and it isn't going to be pretty."

They played several hands of poker, both taking turns winning the pot. They matched each other at outrageous wagers as they fired back double shots of Jack Daniels until they could barely see straight but they kept on going, neither man willing to get up and walk away. As Coop shuffled the cards he glanced up and cracked, "You're pretty good at handling a deck of cards; are you better than your cousin Gabe?"

Rafe leaned forward, flashed a smile and responded, "You worried I might be better?" Relaxing, Rafe commented, "Interesting place, Chameleon; kind of describes you doesn't it?"

Cooper shot a fleeting look toward Melinda and soon after two scantily clad women sat down on either side of Coop and flirted openly with Rafe. "You trying to distract me Coop?" Rafe asked him as he tossed a handful of chips into the pot.

Pounding down another JD, Cooper laughed, "Thought you might need a little lady luck Rafe."

Barely cracking a smile, Rafe studied the stack of chips in front of him, "You'll need to bring something better than a couple of ladies to beat a full house." "You're bluffing," Cooper scoffed. "Then put your money where your mouth is and call," Rafe fired back. Glancing between the two girls and back at Coop, Rafe sneered, "Surprised they aren't twins."

Cooper's eyes narrowed slightly, "The twins are past history, old news." "Really," Rafe pressed as he glanced up from his cards, "by the vivid description it sounds pretty fresh in your mind."

Staggering slightly as he rose from his seat, Cooper stepped toward Rafe. His voice was hoarse, gritty, "It isn't like that anymore! I've had enough of this! You need to stop shooting your mouth off to my wife!" Shoving back from the table Rafe met him head on, "Hit a nerve did I?"

Quickly stepping in to diffuse the situation Melinda offered, "Perhaps you two would like to unleash some of that testosterone in the sauna. There are massage tables, wine, whatever you desire on the house."

Ignoring the suggestion Cooper bristled at Rafe's veiled accusation, "You're good at turning it on and off; you must get a lot of practice on the side. I saw your little show with Selene in Paris. Maybe your wife needs to know that you're cheating on her?"

"You leave my wife out of the conversation. You don't talk about her, look at her, or even think about her," Rafe threatened. Growing angrier, Cooper snapped back, "You don't seem to have a problem including my wife on your assumptions; why shouldn't I respond in kind?"

Furious, Rafe growled, "Do not try and throw your own dirt in my direction; it won't stick." Turning abruptly, he strode angrily to the exit.

Coop watched as Rafe stormed off, still furious and on edge once more. Concerned with how much Rafe saw earlier and what he would do with it, Coop swore vehemently and threw back another shot.

"Coop, this isn't going to be a problem," Slim assured gruffly. "No matter what is going on between the two of you, Rafe needs to keep his thoughts in check if he wants to continue with Stone. He knows that but it won't hurt for me to remind him."

Shifting slightly, still angry, Coop was less concerned about what Rafe would write than what he would say to Beth. One way or another, Coop wanted it to end.

Determined and infuriated Cooper approached Melinda. Concerned, she asked him, "What can I do to help?" Drawing a deep breath, he replied, his voice weary, "I could use a private room for a few minutes." Melinda gestured toward a door with a nod, "Of course; come with me."

"I am sorry for the disruption Cooper. If there is anything I can do; you know how we value your friendship here," she began. "It isn't your fault Mel," Cooper hastily interrupted. "I just need a moment alone if you don't mind; I need to call my wife." She smiled, "Take as much time as you need."


~ to be continued ~

----------------

NEXT CHAPTER: South Beach Chapter 38

22 comments:

S.B. January 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! I knew those two were going to get into it! Perfectly written, perfectly shot, and the tension you draw is incredible...

and the flirtation...hot hot! LOL!

can't wait to see where you take this! Fabulous job; wonderful view of a different aspect of Cooper's personality and life. Thank you...

thewynd January 20, 2009 at 7:05 AM  

Well thank you for helping me keep their dialog on track. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees so you kept me focused.

Cooper is a good guy but he does love the attention and he gets plenty of it! Monster rock star likes to come out and play every once in awhile. LOL!

Not sure where it is going myself yet aside from what you already know.

Thank you again Beth...for making it possible...

Phoenix January 20, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

Oh boy!! I knew that was coming! I just keep wondering why Rafe keeps egging him on! If I was Coop I'd just punch him and get it over with. Let out all the steam, let him tell my wife what he THINKS he knows and just be done!

I loved the whole flirtation thing! The teasing and touching...

The shots were great as always!

KDSGS January 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

"Something in your Mouth"...LOVE IT! Great pick for this this chapter! Cannot wait to see that performed live! Something tells me I will envisioning Cooper, LOL!

Love the band blowing off steam (or something else) Cooper in full rock God mode was fascinating, riveting and damn sexy! Wonderful shots! And all Cooper wants is a shot of Jack! LOL! "I'd do him for free if he looked at me twice..." Who wouldn't?

Rafe striding into the private club like a leopard on the prowl,wow. And the poker game, like two roosters on a dung heap~ who will be top cock? I can't believe I just wrote that!

Wonderful tension between the two in both the writing and shots, reminiscent of a 'Old West' poker game!

Loved the guys reminiscing about the 'twins' ah yes, groupies! LOL!

The club is well decorated, the heavy, burgundy drapes every where, the Gothic sofas, screams 'cat house' from another age, well done!
QUESTION: where did you get the bottles of booze wallpaper?
and in the last shot, the wine bottle on the bed, nice touch!

Rafe and Cooper spit and hiss at each other, nicely done! And Cooper goes to call beth, good idea!

Another wonderful chapter, great effort all round by you both! The shot and writing*sigh* what more can I say!

S.B. January 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

I didn't do anything here...not a thing. All writing and shots by Gayl. No idea how she got some of those shots!

thewynd January 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

Hey there Phoenix! Rafe and Cooper are like the Hatfields and McCoys. Not sure there will ever be a truce.

I loved the flirtation myself. Those boys were seriously naughty when I wasn't looking. Flirting, wolf whistles every where I turned! Glad you enjoyed!

thewynd January 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

Karen thanks for reading! I can't help it; I do not think of Chad when I hear Nickelback LOL!

I had fun with this chapter although I did not enjoy trying to duplicate a Victorian building. This one is loosely based on a building that was at one time, a brothel. I cannot even come close to it. The bottle wallpaper came from ATS, part of the Irish Pub set. The wine bottle I will need to go back and look...

I must say though, Melinda likes to change that room around a lot. The themes vary, Gothic, dungeon, fantasy...she is very versatile.

Thanks again!

Emily January 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Well, this was certainly interesting to say the least! All of that flirting didn't seem like Cooper, I kept waiting for him to reveal some scheme he had planned...guess he has some hidden sides! :D

The room is gorgeous too, love every lucious detail.

Coop + Rafe = nightmare! They really do not get along, do they? Loved the whole poker scene, neither one backing down.

Wonderful update, I loved it!

thewynd January 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

Thanks Emily! I liked doing that room and dressing up the girls. The rest of the house...not so much. It is bare wall at the moment.

And no, Rafe and Cooper do not get along. Not at all.

LOL Cooper is an incredible flirt! He likes to turn it on much like Rafe...just because they can. Part of what Cooper is made of is based on a sensual, sexual persona. He turns it on when he performs, but he is a faithful husband.

I think to a certain extent people enjoy flirting although my personal opinion of flirting may not be the same as other people's. If it goes too far, that is a whole other thing. I admit to having enjoyed turning a head or two and I know my husband was a flirt. Again, not everyone's cup of tea.

But yeah, he is a shameless flirt when he feels like pulling out the monster rock star! LOL!

Thank you for reading!

Mao January 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mao January 20, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Great shots, Gayl! I really loved the whole set up and everything. Hehe, what a place for testosterone to overload! I can't say I'm a Nickelback fan, though.

Oh boy, Coop! Come on! Calling your wife from a bordello, LOL. At least there isn't any background noise. Hopefully hearing Beth's voice will calm him down some. You'd think if there was nothing to hide, that he'd be calm and just shrug Rafe off. Though I'm sure the constant pressure is VERY annoying.

Rafe, man. You need to chill. Seriously. I am still kind of wondering what's caused him to be this long arm of vigilante marriage law. What business of his is it?

I'm not much of a flirt, but I can understand Cooper's need to maintain his public persona. He's selling sex and rock n' roll! But even so, if that were my husband? I'd probably kill him. ;)

You really did a bang-up job on this one, Gayl. You could totally tell you enjoyed writing it!

Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 3:43 AM  

Should Cooper really be calling Beth from there of all places?

I sort of don't like the way Rafe is in this one - he seems to be wanting to stir stuff up without any solid proof. I don't know what his deal is all of sudden trying to break up a marriage. Dredging up things that happened in the past is no basis for running to the man's wife shouting about an affair.

I definately like the shots in this one and I am definately curious about Melinda.

I'm glad Slim is around though to keep an eye on his friend and to be the voice of reason. I've always loved Slim - the level headed one, always saving the day.

Great work Gayl!

thewynd January 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Mao: Thank you for the compliment! I am still figuring Photoshop out and tried to work with a few options. I'm getting there...

Rafe and Coop are like oil and water. Rafe and Beth are close friends and he believes she is going to be hurt. Those two will walk through fire for each other and he is watching her back.

I did love doing this one...thank you again!

thewynd January 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

Chari: It probably was not the wisest choice but Cooper is livid, anxious and extremely drunk...so yeah, not good judgment. He is lucky to have a good friend in Slim. I love him too.

I am still learning as far as PShop goes and keep practicing until I get it right!

I hope to get to Melinda at some point soon; I just need to sit down and do it I guess.

thank you!

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 3:34 AM  

I've been waiting for that to happen, and fuelled with a few drinks Rafe and Cooper were bound to throw a few words back and forth. Thing is, even though he isn't going about it the right way, Rafe is right about it not looking like Cooper is being very faithful, and instead of seeing the underlying message, Copper just sees the surface threat. And calling from a brothel when you are drunk and not so good with thinking straight is probably not a fabulous idea.

S@n January 22, 2009 at 5:48 AM  

What a wonderful entertaining chapter!!

I love the flirtation in this one, it was fun to watch I bet it was even more fun to write!

The girls were gorgeous and the dialogue was perfect.

Rafe and Cooper, lol, I saw that coming...I thought their confrontation would be more heated, but I think they are not over yet... can't wait to see what happens next...

I hope Beth won't find out where Coop is calling from!! :D lol

Wonderful update Gayl it was fun to read, and the pictures were great, you did an awesome job!
Bravo!

thewynd January 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Goodbye_Sun: You are so right...calling from a brothel while drunk was not a smart move at all! But this has been brewing for awhile so it was bound to happen as you said.

Sandy: It was fun to write the flirtation and even more fun shooting it although keeping theirs faces in the appropriate mood while playing cards was hard.

Thank you both for reading!

Colliegirl January 31, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

I must confess that I am the jealous type myself. If I found out that my husband was in a place like that, I'd probably kill him too. LOL!

And, I can't believe he's actually calling Beth from such a place... and he's drunk to boot! Oh, Slim where are you?!! Haha... it will be most interesting to observe her reaction if she figures it out!

And what's the deal with Rafe? That was certainly exciting! I nearly expected that confrontation to come to blows! Why is he making Coop's private life his business, though? I really don't get it. And I saw the way he was eying that scantily clad girl at the poker table. Uh-huh. Caught in action there, bub! I'll bet he was one of those guys making all the wolf whistles, too! For shame on him, as well! LOL!

S.B. January 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

have to say something on Rafe's behalf...there's a long and close friendship with Beth. She risked a lot for him. He'd walk out into heavy traffic for her too. Nothing romantic, but very tight and close understanding and mutual "I'll watch your back" relationship. If Rafe thinks she's going to be hurt, he'll get into the middle of it.

Colliegirl January 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Ahhh! Now I understand! Thanks for that little tidbit!

In that case! Go get him, Tiger! Oh, and wait! Get that other guy too! LOL! :D

S.B. January 31, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

ROFL...if Rafe decides to wheel those laser eyes of his in Ryan's direction...

ok, apologies to Gayl here...it was irresitable. You know Rafe though.

cheripye February 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Stunning update,
I love the banter between the men at the poker table, and the opening scenes where Cooper was lost in thought.

Rafe surely is throwing it all on the table isnt he. Why doesnt he understand that Coop loves Beth??? That was an intense meeting and so very adrenaline packed!!!

STUNNING!


No rules, no guidelines, no forums...just support.

A fresh start...

No longer haunted by shadows, Cooper Stanfield emerges from the dark and looks to the future. A new daughter, a son now in college, the demons of his past finally laid to rest...

Author's Note

The Other Side of the Stage is a continuation of where Dark December left off. It is a new direction and a new look at the lives of the residents of Bay View, South Beach, and Millwood. While this is primarily focused on Cooper Stanfield, chapters may focus on the supporting characters ~ their lives, loves, and adventures.


  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP