Chapter 32 ~ Burnin' It To The Ground

Optimism, Aidan remembered that word from his interview with Rafe. He had used it to describe Aidan. Aidan smiled as he considered how fitting that word was. When he reflected on his life, his career, it was the one thing that remained a constant in him. The fame, the fortune, it was all a pleasant bonus but it wasn't everything.

Aidan never cared that he was not the sexy one, the wild one, or the mysterious one. He was happy simply being the bass player. He laughed inwardly as he remembered the girls in Venice beckoning him toward their gondola and urging him to get in. They had flirted shamelessly; it took him by surprise and he had been more than flattered.

He politely declined the invitation. His heart belonged to Lakin. He was going home. He was going to ask her to marry him. Aidan exhaled, smiled once more and prepared to take the stage.

True to form, Daniel paced like a caged animal before the show. Always unpredictable, wild and reckless he would hit on the women along with a bottle of Stoly as he waited to perform. Not this time however. He was sober, focused, a man with a goal. Life was falling into place for Daniel.

Taking measures to rectify the mistakes of the past and cleaning up his act was just one part of it. He was going to pursue Peri. He loved her, he always loved her. No way would he let Heydon stand in the way of it. He knew Peri wouldn't tolerate Heydon's infidelity. How could she? It was what had ruined Danny's relationship with her all those years ago when she found out he had been married to Shana. Even if the marriage had been a sham, a drunken night of debauchery that ended up at a wedding chapel, she never forgave him.

He stood gripping his drumsticks and looked ahead, hopeful for the first time in years

Heydon sat slumped in a chair and brooded as he considered what he would be returning to once he headed home. It would not be the usual homecoming, the nice dinner, the kids begging for stories and souvenirs, or the long night of passion between him and Peri.

Instead of feeling angry and resentful, Heydon was relieved. He held onto that pain and humiliation for too long, always fighting to prove he was the only man Peri wanted or needed, not second to anyone. It no longer mattered. What did matter were his children. They were hurt, confused, and angry.

Heydon rose and listened as the sounds of the crowd reached him. He was going to walk out on that stage and perform just like he always did, despite the fact that he felt empty inside. Where would he be in three months, in six?

"Heydon, have you been avoiding me?" Selene's distinctive voice interrupted his thoughts.
"What do you want Selene?" His voice was flat, emotionless.
"Darling, things do not need to end between us. It was unfortunate but...well things do happen don't they? I think we can still enjoy each other's company from time to time don't you?"

Heydon turned to look at her and wondered why he ever let himself get drawn in by her charms. "It's over Selene. You're just not that interesting anymore."

Tyler finished the last song in the set, carefully set down his guitar and strode off the stage as the crowd went wild. They had done two encores and as much as he loved to perform, he was drained.

It was almost a letdown knowing that the tour was over; there would be no more performances for awhile. Tyler loved to work the audience and the fans adored him as well. His powerful voice combined with amazing guitar riffs earned him a steady following of female fans but he took it all in stride.

Nothing much had really changed for Tyler unless of course you considered his bank account and fame. He was still the laid back guy who began the tour seven months ago. He wiped the beads of sweat from his face as he wondered what waited for him back in Bay View. One thing was certain; he would buy himself a nice house on the beach with a room for his guitars and rip Amanda Alcaide out of his head forever.

"Great set man. You guys rocked the house."
Shaun grinned at Cooper as he pulled off his shirt and used it to wipe his body. "Thanks Coop. It felt good." Shaun rejoined the band after Stevie felt more settled with their son. She had been surprisingly confident and had urged him to finish the tour. After hiring help for her, Shaun did just that. Now he was anxious to go home.

Finding a quiet corner away from the stage and the crews, Shaun called Stevie. "Hey baby. Yeah we just finished our set. The place was packed! I can't wait to see you. How's are little guy doing?" Stevie filled him in on Devlin's growth spurt and Shaun beamed with pride.

Having been born early, Devlin was pretty small but he was quickly catching up to a healthy weight. "Is he up? Can you put the phone near him?"

Hearing the soft gurgle of his son, Shaun's emotion welled up inside nearly overwhelming him. "Hey little one...Daddy's going to sing you a lullaby. Now you be good for Mommy." He crooned softly into the phone, "And in the end on dreams we will depend, 'cause that's what love is made of..."

It was done. The airports, the delayed flights, the jet lag, endless hotels and the long absences from his family were almost a distant memory. Rafe missed his family, the bright laughter of his kids, the long walks along the shore with his wife; he missed home.

Rolling Stone had been far more than pleased with his articles. They were raw and edgy, real, not the usual fare from a novice writer covering a famous rock band. They were going to publish them in a series after the tour was done, having published his intro piece already, and paid him handsomely for it. He had made a name for himself and would now be in a position to pick and choose what he covered.

A soft hand gently slipped into his, fingers lacing through his, then casually moved up his arm and rested on his bicep. He turned to see his wife standing next to him. She had always wanted to see a rock concert from this side of the stage and he had flown her out to join him.

Rafe pulled her close, his eyes lit with a surreal fire. The first thing he was going to do when he got home was to buy her something shiny...well maybe not the first thing, he thought to himself as she smiled up at him.

No matter how many times he stood behind a stage waiting to perform, it always felt like the first time. The sounds, the smells, and the fast paced bustle of crews that handled lighting, mics, pyrotechnics, booms and lifts, it never got old. His heart pounded steadily in his chest, he could feel the energy coursing through his veins.

The music was there swirling around him like tendrils as he breathed it in allowing it to become part of him. There was so much more music to be made; a torrent running through Cooper like a raging river. It was the life that flowed through him and poured out of his hands when he played his guitar.

This time though, the homecoming was going to be as thrilling. Beth, his beautiful wife, and his children would be waiting for him. Cooper exhaled as a slow smile spread across his face. He was happy, content, fulfilled, unlike any other time in his life. Finally, he had it all, his heart's desire. Cooper would never take it for granted; he would cherish this life every day.

But there was still unfinished business, the mess with Ryan. He should have fired him on the spot; why did he relent? Cooper's face darkened as anger threatened to boil to the surface. He had been self-absorbed, blinded to what was right in front of him. He still wasn't convinced that Beth didn't sense Ryan's feelings about her.

Uncomfortable with how far it could have gone, it rocked Cooper to his core to think that Beth could have developed feelings for Ryan as well. They had grown close; even Rayne shared a bond with Ryan.

Let it go for now, he told himself. Closing his eyes, Cooper shut everything out and allowed the monster rock star to emerge slowly and steadily. Still the music surrounded him, vines that caressed, electric and powerful. Cooper was the music as he stood poised to take the stage, a sensual beast that would seduce the crowd and leave them begging for more.


Mercury Rising had been a band whose roots sprang from nothing more than a young boy's dream. Through the years they became a multi platinum hard rocking success story that wouldn't die out any time soon. Guys wanted to be them and girls wanted to do them. Cooper, Heydon, Daniel, and Aidan slowly snaked their way onto the stage and took their places.

Myriad colored spotlights hit the band as the guitars began to wail, hard driving and electric, as the sound shredded the arena. Aidan's bass thumped in duet with Danny's double bass filling out the bottom as Cooper's rough voice shouted to the crowd, "Make some noise!"



The crowd went wild, frenzied cries and bodies moving, singing and reaching out to touch their idols. They fed on it; it fueled the music and the men and they put their heart and soul into every note, every beat. They played with an urgency so compelling that it was almost as if they would never play again and wanted to leave something tangible of themselves in that arena.

They had been gone for 7 months, visited 12 foreign countries and hit every major city in North America including some small ones. They were tired and anxious to go home for better or worse, to changes good and bad, but tonight it was about the music, their music.


They played for nearly two and a half hours before they walked off the stage, sweating, muscles aching, and adrenaline pumping hard, a euphoric sensation unlike any other. The crowd screamed; they were unwilling to leave and begging for more.


The lights dimmed. You could barely make out the stage but shadows could be seen moving along the ramps, unfamiliar and far too many to be Mercury Rising. The deep and raw sound of a lone guitar began to slowly break the silence as one shadow moved slowly along the center of the stage followed by another.

It was a rhythmic and pulsating sound that was soon joined by the steady pounding of a bass drum followed shortly thereafter by a second guitar and a bass in the distance.

The sound grew until it exploded, every musical line coming together and each with its own intro. It grew until the sound was too intense as more shadows took the stage. Fans all over the arena screamed for Cooper with each resonating tone until the spots flashed on and off in colors of red, green, purple and blue illuminating all the stages at once and exposing the shadows at last.


Cooper stood with a mic in his hand next to his son and began to sing, his raspy voice eliciting wild applause and screams in the packed venue. As Wyatt sweep-picked the strings Cooper teased the female fans with sensual and flirtatious moves as his voice reached out to them like a lover's caress.

We're wound up too tight
I've got a fist full of whiskey,
the bottle just bit me

That shit makes me bad shit crazy
We got no fear, no doubt, all in balls out

To kick out every light
Take anything we want
Drink everything in sight
We're going till the world stops turning
While we burn it to the ground tonight
Ooooohhhhhhh

swinging from the ceiling
I got a fist full of fifties,
Tequila just hit me Ooooohhhhh

We got it lined up, shot down,
firing back straight Crown

To kick out every light
Take anything we want
Drink everything in sight

While we burn it to the ground tonight
Ooooohhhhhhh, Ooooohhhhhhh



Drinking till the night's gone
Well get your hands off of this glass, last call my ass

We got no fear, no doubt, all in balls out!

They all converged on the main stage, past, present, and future joined as they played the last chorus, a legacy of incredible pure rock.

To kick out every light
Take anything we want
Drink everything in sight
We're going till the world stops turning
While we burn it to the ground tonight
Ooooohhhhhhh, Ooooohhhhhhh




25 comments:
Nothing I can say can match what I feel. Epic. Phenomenal. Gorgeous beyond belief.
The moment Wyatt stepped out on that stage with Cooper I was crying and screaming, and girl I am still crying.
It's been a long, long road, brilliantly and beautifully conceived and written. Breathtaking shots. Beauty and terror. Great love and terrible loss.
The incredible moment you capture here -- I have no words. I am on my knees.
Thank you.
Thank you Beth. For everything.
I think it just hit me as well. I just have no words right now...
I am going to say that I have not read anything, published or unpublished, that can match what you have created. And I'm not saying that lightly. When I look at the total work, from the very beginning, it is a work of creative genius.
It has been a great honor to work with you. I am just humbled and in awe.
The pictures alone were enough to send me into fits! this was a stunning update and the writing to boot was AMAZING!!!
I loved every aspect of it!!!
Oh yeah I give up on trying to comment on your last, for whatever reason I keep getting an error... 80)
Beth, thank you again. It has been an honor for me as well. I am really looking forward to what is coming down the road.
Cherie, no worries about the other one. It doesn't matter. I appreciate the thought however. And thank you so much. I really enjoyed taking those shots. I did NOT enjoy trying to fix them in Photoshop and pretty much gave up trying to do what I wanted.
You are it...the Rock Queen, without a doubt, if Nickelback is half this exciting when I see them next month, I will feel doubly rewarded.
Incredible feel, mood, ambiance, shots, just stunning.
And well, the writing, just accompanied your rousing shots like mustard on a hot dog.
Heydon sitting in the darkness, utterly destroyed, so glad he blew off that female snake.
You could feel Cooper's anticipation, waiting off-stage, waiting to take the arena like Godzilla.
And The young veal joining him on stage, just wonderful. I kind of choked up. *sob*
I am sure you will continue to take us on a rock and roll roller coaster ride in the time ahead, looking forward to it, great, great update.
I bow to you...
I have to say a couple more things.
Rafe. It is incredibly good to see him finally making it on his own; happy; in love and no longer chased by his own demons.
Shaun: Can that guy get any hotter? Wiping his body with his shirt???
I am so happy for Danny. Heydon will survive and hopefully find happiness -- love the putdown! Tyler, yes please Ty you are way too good to ever think about Lady A again.
And a detail probably no one else will notice -- Kestral is there for Jason. I love it, just love it! Those two, coming from such different places, but already in love.
Cooper. What can I say about Cooper when he's deep in thought. Gorgeous dreamy shots. The man is incredible. Definitely has some things he needs to take care of though.
Wyatt looks so much like his father that it is eerie. Those shots on the end of the catwalk are beyond belief.
I'm going to quit spamming your comments. But I wanted to mention some of the things in detail.
Okay, I gotta say this! I've never, EVER been to a rock concert but Gayl I really felt like I was in one. The lights, the music, the motions, the poses, everything just screamed. I could feel the dreams, smell the sweat, hear the thundering of my heart in my ears as I screamed along with everyone else.
This was just masterful! You are brilliantly talented. This piece was just amazing. I can't...I don't know what else to say. Just wow. If I hadn't been a fan of rock and roll I'd want to listen to some just by your visuals alone.
Your writing brings it all home however. Although things are ending, possibilities are opening up. I can't wait to see where else you take it.
You're just bloody amazing! *bows*
To be continued...I bloody well hope so! You cannot leave us after this piece! (Not that it wasn't good enough but I want more!) LOL.
Seriously...if you were finished, this one would do just fine. Everything is kind of out in the open now and you get the feeling that these guys are all going to be okay no matter what happens.
I had to force myself to read this one slowly so I could admire all the shots! They are just stunning.
Rafe & Gayl- *sigh* such a sweet, loving couple, I am happy for them.
Love that shot of Heydon before they go on, he must be feeling quite the ass. At least he told Selene off though, that woman is simply trouble.
Having Wyatt and the others come out was just inspired. I nearly cried like a baby seeing him & Cooper playing together like that. So much tension between them and still able to share their common love.
Oh and Gayl wanting to see the 'other side of the stage', just brilliant. I smiled at that one!
Gorgeous piece of work here and that is no joke, it's beautiful.
What an incredible tour!!!
So many things had changed since the tour started, everybody looks more mature, like they all have clear where they want to go from there...
Wyatt joining his dad was just fantastic!!!! I can imagine the crowd go wild!
Heydon, I think he needed what happened, hopefully he and Peri can start from scratch but if they can't go on, I wish them good luck, they deserve to be happy.
I don't think Danny has a chance with Peri, but good luck to him too.
Shaun, OMG... he is incredible sexy and so cute!!! singing a lullaby to his baby, awwww so sweet!!!!
Rafe and Gayl what a great couple!!! I love them, what a beautiful couple!!! It is time to go home and enjoy their family life!!! I can't wait to see their children!
Fantastic update Gayl, I bow to you as well!!! it was beyond incredible, the shots were gorgeous, and you captured the perfect emotions with you beautiful writing!!!
Bravo Gayl!!!
WOW!!!
~Drew, thank you so much and I am sure Nickelback will be incredible when you see them live. I'm really glad the shots portrayed what I intended. Heydon I think is probably the most affected by these last several months. He is the only one who is unsure as to what he will find at home.
I choked up myself with the veal and his prize bull father on stage together. Still so much that is raw and unfinished between them but the music is a common thread. I was amazed, it was eerie, seeing them together like that. They were not posed; they just did their thing together. True performers.
Beth, I can't say enough about how much I have loved and had so much fun with this collaboration. I am really looking forward to where it goes from here.
Shaun, I meant to change that text around since he clearly has no shirt in his hands. Perhaps he tossed it to the ground? LOL!
Danny and Heydon are definitely headed towards different ends of the spectrum. And Tyler, could he get any hotter? I hoped he finds an incredible woman to love. And Jason is so in love with Kes. He really wanted her to be there to share in his love of music and performing as well. That is a sweet couple. You know how much I adore her.
Cooper...where to begin with that man. Pure rock. He has quite a bit of unfinished business at home. But it is a homecoming that he is looking forward to.
Thank you again for all the support. It means so much...I'm sure I don't have to tell you but thanks.
Phoenix, you have to make to at least one rock concert. Nothing like it. Well assuming you like rock. My most recent one was Bon Jovi with Daughtry. Utterly incredible. The feeling that you get regardless of what side of the stage you are on is indescribable.
Thank you so much for your support. It means a great deal to me. I thank you also for the kind words about my writing. That is what it is about for me and if I can make you believe you are at a rock concert through them, then I am thrilled.
LOL Emily yes...To be continued...I promise not to leave it at this but I am glad that it was a fitting end if I had chosen to end it all. There is still a lot unfinished here but I will simply need to take it slower than before. Not months but I will need to pace myself for awhile I'm afraid.
I am thrilled that you liked the shots. I wish I could have done more. I plan to post the ones on the cutting room floor (not all 60, but a lot of them) in my photo blog when I can.
I really liked that touch at the end with Rafe and Gayl. As for Wyatt and the bookends, I always knew they would be there in the end for better or worse. Thank you again for your support. I know I keep saying it but it truly means a great deal to me.
You are so right S@andy, quite a bit has changed since the tour began. I had really hoped to do more European venues but it just wasn't meant to be.
They have all changed in so many ways. I believe the writing is on the wall fro Heydon and Peri. Not sure it will be an easy road for Danny though. He is assuming quite a lot. And Shaun...good lord is he ever hot! And that lullaby is by Van Halen! LOL!
Thank you Sandy for the kind words, for supporting me. Hopefully more to come down the road!
You really captured the in the moment, larger than life feel concerts can have. This made such a nice counterpoint to the update where they all left on the tour, in both cases there was tension and expectation and sadness, but the overall shift here feels like they all know its never going to be the same, that they all have had too many things happen and its time to move on from the past.
I'm really glad it came off that way goodbye-sun. I had hoped it would tie back to the beginning so I am glad you caught it!
Things are definitely not the same. It should be interesting to see what happens after this.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support.
Everything seems to come full circle. I like that. It feels complete, like a closed up box full of memories and change.
I don't know what Aidan's worried about! I really like him. He's the most well-adjusted one in the band. He can just stay nice and quiet. Suits me just fine. ;)
I really liked how everyone's issues/etc seemed to be tied up or explained in a way. It seems like something has come to an end. Perhaps this part in their lives? Another chapter coming to a close? I really get that feeling.
Great shots, Gayl. Really. I can't imagine trying to capture a concert atmosphere with The Sims 2, but you've certainly done it here. I'm in awe!
It does feel complete doesn't it? It felt like the right way to end this particular story line. Where they go from here remains to be seen.
I am extremely flattered by your comments on the shots Mao. Coming from someone whose images I have long admired, it means a great deal to me. It took a lot of work and a few I am not happy with but overall I think they worked.
The glimpse into their thoughts, the closing of a chapter of their lives was wonderfully done. The shots were amazing as always and Cooper as stunning as ever.
It will be interesting to see what becomes of these people.
thank you Noir, it will be interesting to see where they go from here. And thank you for the compliments on the shots. They were not easy to do so I am glad they turned out!
That was fantastic! What a great debut for Wyatt! Father and son performing together! That was quite spectacular the way he came out onto the stage - I knew something special had to be up. I was very pleased to see him finally make an appearance. At long last! I must say, they looked great on stage together!
I've never been to an actual rock concert either, but I liked how you handled this performance. It seemed very believable to me. The band looked great! Very well done!
And may I also say, I am glad that Heydon finally gave that woman the blow off... it was a little belated, but I'm glad that it's done!
I don't think Danny has a chance with Peri. I think he's just deluding himself to assume such a thing. He said it himself, that she didn't forgive such things as infidelity. So what makes him think that she would forgive him of the past mistakes that he made? The passage of time shouldn't have changed anything with her personal convictions. He's done lost her and might as well accept it. They don't even have any children to help bring them together. Heydon's one up on him with that.
I loved the scene with Shaun talking on the phone with his sweetheart amd then crooning a lullaby to their baby. That was just so sweet! What a great father he is going to be!
I can't believe Cooper hasn't fired Ryan yet. I thought sure he would have after all the doubts and obvious things he's seen. That situation has to come to a head sooner or later. Wasn't Ryan planning to leave, though? That would surely be best for them all if he did.
I fear that I've managed to write a book, and I'd better stop now. Such blather! LOL! It was a great update though, and a lot of fun reading! Great work!
Tammy I am terribly late in responding to your comment. I want to thank you for reading! I tried to make it feel like a true rock concert (minus the throngs of screaming fans hehe)
I don't think it will be so easy for Danny to get what he wants, if at all. As for Heydon he did finally get rid of Selene which was a good thing but a little late.
I always knew Wyatt and the Mitchell boys would perform with their fathers in the last concert. I'm glad it came off well.
Shaun of course is over the moon with his girl and his son. He is a great guy.
As for Ryan and Cooper...well that is being addressed in a new blog called Sessions.
Thank you again for stopping by; it really does mean a great deal to me when someone takes the time to read and comment. I love hearing what people think.
LOL! No prob! I left so many comments the last time I figured that I had probably wore you out! I had a lot of catching up and reading to do!!! Thanks for your response. I really appreciate how you take the time to write back to your fans! It keeps me coming back for more! : )
Post a Comment