Chapter 21 ~ Cacophony
Chapter 21
South Beach: North Shore ~ Savage Residence

The last thing Rafe wanted to do was attend a party. He hesitated at the walkway as his wife turned to look at him. "What is it baby? Do you want to go home?" she asked him gently. "Yeah but as much as I want to blow this thing off, I need to do it," he resigned himself.

As short-lived as it had been, good fortune had smiled down on Rafe one stormy night. Driving back to Bay View in a rental car after an interview with Rolling Stone for a freelance job, he had come across the apparent scene of an accident on the side of the road.
Taking the owner of the car to the closest towing station, they struck up a conversation and when the man's Corvette was safely on its way to a body shop Rafe had his first story, a series of articles chronicling life on the road with the rock band Mercury Rising, an assignment he had mixed feelings over. This party was to be his introduction to the band.

"Let's just get this over with," he growled as he rang the bell. They were soon greeted by Slim. "Rafe, glad you could make it," Slim spoke warmly, "And you must be Gayl. You didn't bring your son?"

Rafe planned to stay only long enough to meet the band and get what he needed before the tour began. It was a job, not a social call. His wife was pregnant again, her pregnancy this time had become more difficult than the first, and he didn't want her running after their active son in this situation. "He wasn't feeling too well; we left him at home with his older brother," she explained after exchanging glances with Rafe.

"Well come on in and make yourselves comfortable. The band is out by the pool and there is plenty to eat and drink," Slim invited. "You can change in there if you want to go swimming," he gestured down the hallway. Taking his wife's hand, Rafe glanced around as he mumbled quick thanks and led her down the hall to change.

Emerging several minutes later Rafe briefly acknowledged Cooper and began surveying the grounds as his wife chatted with Beth. "Where's Rayne?" she asked. "She's upstairs napping in Will's room. Coop had her in the pool earlier and she was completely exhausted," Beth explained.

Rafe stood by the edge of the pool and watched as Aidan O'Malley, the bassist regarded him thoughtfully. He looked moderately uncomfortable and out of place sandwiched between two tanned girls. The blonde was chattering away about the SPF level in her bronzer while her date openly admired the end results. The raven haired girl nodded vaguely. Rafe didn't get the impression she felt any more comfortable than Aiden.

A couple of kids splashed in the shallow end of the pool and Rafe guessed the boy belonged to Slim and Bonni. Since Heydon was the only other married band member the girl must be his. Although it was fair to assume she might have belonged to one of the others, Rafe doubted that.
Heydon and his wife approached the couples lounging in the sun and Rafe overheard him speak to the drummer, Daniel Whitney. "Dan-o, I thought you were designated bartender today." Whitney dragged his eyes away from the blonde long enough to mutter something Rafe couldn't quite make out.

The group rose and slowly made their way to the deck where Cooper, Beth, Bonni and Slim had gravitated. Peri, Heydon's wife lingered with the drummer speaking softly through the smile she wore as she watched the children splashing. Judging by his body language, whatever she said made him uncomfortable. Rafe made a mental note to remember that as he slowly strode toward the deck.

He knew a little bit about Peri Mitchell. She was an artist who had followed the band as a teenager sketching them when they were trying to make a name for themselves. She had caught both Daniel and Heydon's eye but apparently Heydon was the one who produced the ring, the proposal, and the subsequent litter of kids. Surprising considering his penchant for variety but then Peri had been a wild child herself.

Figuring that was as good a place as any to begin, Rafe made his way up the deck stairs and approached Mitchell who was looking a bit fatigued. His wife and Whitney were following close behind him as Daniel slurred something about making her another peach something or other.

Heydon headed into the house with Rafe and turning to face him blurted out, "Don't believe everything that you hear, man; we've been together a long time and tend to behave badly at times but we aren't such a bad group of guys." Rafe stared at him wondering why the guy was making excuses and apologies. It must have been the liquor, the heat, or some combination of both. "I'm not here to make assumptions; I'm just breaking the ice…trying to get to know everyone before the tour. That's all," Rafe's voice was cautious.

"I guess I'm asking you to keep an open mind. We're a tight knit group and I want you to feel like you're part of us when we're on the road. It might be awkward if there was some misunderstanding you know? I'm happily married to Peri, we have a nice little family unit. I know I had a bit of a rep but I'm over that. So is Peri. I just wanted you to know."
This afternoon was starting to get as strange as he had expected. Rafe's voice was level as he answered, "I don't think I'm misunderstanding anything. Like I said, I'm just getting a feel for the band."

It didn't take long for the rest of the group to gravitate to the living room. Beth had gone up to check on her daughter as Rafe's wife stood next to him looking hot and tired. Rafe would be only too happy to get her out of here and back home. As he turned to say something, the gregarious and intoxicated Daniel Whitney stopped him. "I tried to fix your girl here a virgin Pina Colada but she wasn't having any of it. Din' trust there wasn't any alcohol in it," he chuckled. "She looks like she's ready to pop that kid out any time." Seeing Rafe's jaw visibly tighten Cooper rushed over to try and prevent the scene from escalating.

"She's a hot mama…her 'n' Peridot…" The raven haired girl stood by uncomfortably as Daniel reached out presumably to take Rafe's arm. Cooper intervened quickly.

"Danny why don't you go for a nice dip in the pool and cool down," he quietly urged. "Wha? Wha'd I say? She is hot! They're all hot! We're lucky damned bastards…" "That's enough Danny!" Coop warned.

Peri's lilting laughter seemed to break the tension as she stood next to Daniel. Clearly she had drank one Peach Bellini too many as she openly flirted with him. "Danny can I have a word out side? You need me to remind you of your manners." Aimee, Daniel's girlfriend listened as she held her breath. "You gonna take me over your knee and spank me Peri?" he leered openly at her.

Peri laughed again as she carefully swished past him and headed outside. Aimee tossed a knowing look at Aiden's date. "I don't think it's manners she wants to remind him about. You should keep an eye on Aiden before she sets her sights on him," Aimee cautioned.

"That's ridiculous Aimee. Aiden isn't like that," the girl, Lakin, shot back. "Aiden doesn't play around like that and he certainly wouldn't do anything with Heydon's wife. He's better than that and she is drunk," she defended.

Staring at Lakin, almost challenging her as if she knew some secret that Lakin didn't, Aimee started to walk past her as she warned, "Right, you've known him all of about 15 minutes. Don't be so naïve. They're all fair game."

A heavy blanket of silence fell on the room as Peri hesitated before continuing out the door. Cooper and Heydon stared up at Daniel, who seemed oblivious to the exchange. "Wha'd I say this time?" Daniel asked. "I think I need some air," Gayl breathed as she rose and walked outside.

"Baby, wait!" Rafe called after her. She stopped and turning on the soft grass asked him, "How long are you going to be travelling with them?" "As long as it takes to get what I need out of it. I know what I'm doing baby; you have to trust me. Let's get out of here. I've had enough anyway."

Once they had changed Rafe headed out to the car as Slim said goodbye. "Trust me, they aren't as bad as they seemed today Rafe," he urged as he briefly held Rafe's shoulder, "They're just letting off steam." Somehow Rafe doubted that but he thanked Slim for his hospitality as Bonni called out, "Do you have to leave so soon? There's going to be fireworks over the water as soon as it's dark."

Figuring they had seen enough fireworks for one afternoon, Rafe politely declined.
Fireworks ~ 10PM


Not long after the Taylors left, night fell and the fireworks began as promised over the ocean. Everyone, it seemed, enjoyed the fiery display with the exception of Daniel and Peri who were in the middle of a very animated conversation.

"I have no problem tolerating Daniel on most days, Slim, but that girl of his is one piece of work," Bonni observed, "They need to leave…soon." Slim let out an exhausted sigh as he agreed, "I know B. This afternoon could have gone better." Cooper laughed, "It's going to be a PR nightmare if he prints any of what went on here today and I have no doubt he'll do just that."

"Peri, can I have a word?" Heydon glanced briefly at Daniel, "The way Aimee is staggering, she may end up tumbling down the bluff. You need to take care of her." Without saying a word, Daniel strolled casually away as Peri turned and faced her husband.

"I'm going to call a taxi; you want to see if you can do something about Aimee before the fireworks end up in our yard?" Bonni turned angrily and entered the house.

With Beth safely out of earshot, Cooper turned to Slim, "I am seriously worried about this Slim. What went down here is going to find its way into print. I know you don't agree but I don't trust Rafe to chalk it up to the alcohol consumption. This is going to get ugly."

Slim regarded his friend for a long moment before speaking, "Look, Rafe needs this, it's a big opportunity for him with Rolling Stone. He needs to make a good first impression with them too. I don't think he'll blow it over some misguided desire to dig up dirt and print it. He isn't writing for some trashy tabloid. If he wants credibility, he'll focus on what I hired him to do." Pausing briefly, Slim continued, "What do you have against him anyway?"


Cooper sighed as a slight offshore breeze sliced through the palm fronds and ruffled his hair. Looking up at Slim once more he maintained, "I don't have anything against him…well nothing concrete. You do know who he is, don't you?" "Yeah," Slim answered, "he's Senator Taylor's kid."

"No," Cooper corrected him, "He's Cammie's nephew, Tony Lothario's son…Beth's ex." Slim's eyes grew wide, "Oh…look don't sweat it. I'll talk to him. You just focus on the music and don't worry about it." Inhaling deeply Cooper watched as Beth approached, "Yeah, right, don't worry."

"Honey, the cab is here. Can we please get those two on their way?" Bonni asked. Beth watched Cooper, curious, her mouth curved in a slight smile, "Coop, we need to get going too. Rayne has a slight sunburn; I want to get her home, bathed and in her own bed." Slim tried to reassure Cooper once more, "I'll talk to you tomorrow Coop. Don't worry, I'll take care of things."

The idea of touring now nagged at him; Cooper felt uncharacteristically resistant to it. Still anxious and concerned Coop hesitated, started to speak and then let out a ragged sigh as he turned to go home.

Slim and Bonni approached Daniel and Aimee and told them a cab was waiting to take them home. "I'm perfectly capable of driving Danny home, Bonni," Aimee argued. "No, you're not! You're just as drunk as he is," Bonni shot back. Slim glared at the blonde and finally growled, "You will take the cab Aimee. Danny is not driving and he isn't going in a car with you. Danny, take your girl and get going. You can pick your wheels up tomorrow." Danny briefly glanced over at Peri, took Aimee's arm and headed for the door.

When everyone was finally gone, Slim found Bonni among the palms that sheltered their property. As she turned and smiled at him Slim pulled her close to his body and purred, "Now about those fireworks…"
Bay View: South End ~ Holloway Residence

Picking absently at the veggie pizza she had just baked, Stevie finally pushed it aside and scrutinized the way Shaun was eating. "How can anyone who normally devours food with such gusto use a fork to eat pizza?" she quizzed him.

Looking up and grinning he teased, "At least I'm eating it. Should I be concerned about what you put in it? You haven't touched yours." Glancing at her plate, she grimaced and abruptly rose from the table.

Stevie walked over to the window and watched as storm clouds threatened off the ocean. Bursts of sunlight broke through if only for the briefest moment, the alternating light and dark adding to Stevie's confusion. Shaun's massive hands gently turned her around to face him. "How long are you going to make me wait Stevie?" Her mouth formed its usual crooked grin, "I'm not sure I know what you're getting at Shaun."

Stevie sat on the couch as Shaun dropped next to her and placed a comforting arm around her shoulder. "I know I'm fairly laid back and tend to miss a lot of the usual bullshit going on around me but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why you aren't eating and why you keeping hurling in the toilet at all hours. So are we going to talk about it or what?"

"Shit Shaun…I don't know what to say," Stevie looked away, embarrassed and torn. Having a baby right now, if ever, was not in her immediate plans. She rose once more and went back to the window. "Is it mine?" Shaun's voice was barely audible.

Furious, Stevie turned, eyes challenging, "What kind of question…how could you even ask me that Shaun!?"

"I don't know Stevie, maybe because I figured that if you were having my baby you would have shared the news with me and we'd be making plans?" His sarcastic tone stung and she felt consumed with guilt. At a loss for words, Stevie just gazed at him for a long moment and then sighed.

"The timing couldn't be worse Shaun and I don't know if I ever want to have kids," she confessed, "I don't know how to be a mother. And then there's the tour. This is seriously not a good thing right now!"

Caressing her cheek he reassured her, "You'll be a great mother, babe. Don't worry about the tour; we'll get a backup drummer for when you don't feel like performing."

"That's just it, Shaun, I want to perform. I feel alive when I'm out there; it's like nothing else…you know that feeling, that euphoria. I don't want to miss that," she admitted.

Laughing, he stressed, "It isn't a permanent condition Stevie."

"Of course it is Shaun. Unless you're like my dad and you walk away. Then I guess it isn't permanent," her bitter words hit hard. "My mother did the best she could but I took care of her way more than she ever took care of me," she spoke softly, "I got used to being independent. I don't know if I can raise a child."


Shaun struggled with his emotions. He wanted desperately to ask Stevie to marry him; he had wanted it even before he knew about the baby. But he had watched her elude commitment for a long time. Even Cooper hadn't had all of her. Shaun knew asking her now would make her bolt.


"I love you Stevie, you and our baby. I'm not going anywhere; we can do this…together," Shaun vowed kissing her tenderly. Looking in his eyes, Stevie almost believed it.
------------------------
NEXT CHAPTER: Rising Above Chapter 1
19 comments:
I'm going to start here with one statement.
OMFG THIS IS GORGEOUS!!!!
Clawing my way up off the floor. I don't even know where to begin.
The scene with Rafe and Slim is really really well done. Incredibly realistic.
Rafe and Gayl -- that man has grown up so much. Young beautiful father and husband. Protective. Smart. Savvy. He's not Gabe. He won't sacrifice what he wants to ego, and he wants to be able to take care of his family.
Daniel and Peri -- someone break out the garden hose. I felt sorry for Heydon. Danny backed off faster than Peri did.
Aimee is a bitch. They are all fair game?
The fireworks scene is completely stunning! Beautiful work!
Slim and Cooper -- once again, the friendship between the two of them is very strong. I really don't believe Rafe is going to dig for dirt. He needs the cred, like Slim said.
The scene with Shaun and Stevie is heartbreaking, particularly Shaun's careful question. I really like her, and I really like him.
Stunning, groundbreaking, and an astounding creative work. I am overwhelmed. Really really beautiful Gayl.
Thank you Beth! This was such a struggle on so many planes but I think it is finally coming together.
I took an approach with this one that was outside my usual comfort zone. Turning on free will and letting 14 people running amok at Slim and Bonni's (not to mention inside my head chattering away) led to some unexpected behavior.
Aimee surprised me...I didn't think she was going to turn out so bitchy but she did. Daniel of course was as expected but Peri was quite the surprise. I think I will explore that dynamic soon.
I cannot say enough about Cooper and Slim and their relationship. It has certainly had its pitfalls but they have a strong bond and deep friendship. Slim is the perfect combination of brains and brawn. And damn hot!
My heart broke when Shaun asked that question. I can't blame him for having doubts although he should have known better. Stevie's heart has always been elusive; he loves her and their child. They have 'Slim and Bonni potential' if Stevie can settle down I think.
I suspect I will be playing around with the look of this blog for a bit. I've made a couple of different banners and might put them out there to see what people think. Or not. LOL!
And thank you for everything...reactions, encouragement, and constant support.
And the red pencil...
This was great, an intense look at the couples, how they are getting on, what's happening in their lives, all the little trials and tribulations of life seem to have strengthened and matured them. Interesting new characters too. Danny and Peri seem set on a course that's going to destroy lives I can imagine with Aimee nevertheless putting in her two cents.
The layout turned out great. It looks really really good.
Thank you Synnaj, I had originally planned on including this with chapter 20 but it would have been so long if I had done that. My intent was to bring the other characters back into focus although the timing is still a bit disjointed. I chalk that up to being blocked for so long that the timing got away from me.
I have also wanted to explore the dynamics of the band members so my hope is to show glimpses of their lives and personalities as well.
Beautiful Work Gayl!!!
I love your new layout it works great and the pictures size and colors look awesome!
Now the chapter... Great update! I love that you introduced some new characters, some of them look like too much trouble, but I'm really looking forward to learn more about them...
Shaun and Stevie... I really hope she will make a decision she can live with...
Shaun is a great guy, he cares a lot for Stevie, he is there for her without demanding or telling her what to do... I think it was good he didn't ask her to marry her yet... she will feel trapped and at this moment that is the last thing she needs. Hopefully she will give the baby a chance and Shaun too.
Rafe traveling with the band... that sounds really interesting...
All your characters looked gorgeous! :D
Rafe has grown a whole lot... now he is a family man!!! And I love that part of him, he is really protective of his wife, BTW She looked gorgeous with that dress and that belly!
Well done! :D Beautiful job as always!
This was wonderful Gayl! The shots were amazing, I think there's a slight difference with this graphics card. The pool looked very real and I loved the fireworks shots! There certainly was a lot going on at that party, wasn't there!? Glad to see Shaun & Stevie again, that scene was so emotional with the shots and the writing was perfect. And how COULD he ask her that? Ouch! They make a good couple though and maybe this will bring them closer together. (And the eating pizza with a fork, lol!) Great chapter and love the new blog!
Wow, huge, honking pictures! How did you do it? Or is it part of the new blog layout? Now you have me tempted to start messing with mine! LOL!
I am dusting myself off after falling off my chair *THUD* after seeing Slim in his bathing suit, Dear GOD! And Rafe..and Cooper...*slurp* I am a shameless old hag!
Gayl is expecting, how wonderful, Rafe, after all his troubles has emerged as a sweet man, loving father.
Great interaction between the band members, and interesting new characters!
A tender scene between Stevie and Shawn, that look on his face and the pose as he thought of mentioning marriage...wonderful! Look forward to more of these two!
You had free will on? Wow, it worked, loved all the reaction shots and body language, worked perfectly with the story.
Great fireworks as well.
Loved it gayl, as always...
~~Karen
Oh my but this tour is looking like there is going to be more excitement behind the scenes than on the stage. And interesting to see how the Slim and Rafe car accident scene has finally played out. Very good timing for Rafe there for sure, I look forward to seeing how he slots in with this group. And the Shaun and Stevie scene was lovely, they are both a bit unsteady about how this is going to work. I know what he asked seemed harsh, but it really helped to show they still have a bit of work to do to really settle into their relationship.
GAYL YOU RAWK MY WORLD. I was so so so so thrilled to read all of this! I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for an update :D.
Rafe and Gayl are an amazingly sane and sweet couple. I'm so happy that she's pregnant again! She looks so happy and so pretty--pregnant (btw, it finally remembered who she reminded me of! she looks so so so much like Vanessa Carlton).
I doubt Rafe would use the dramatic poison he saw today to paint his article. But then again, he has a family to take care of. Still, he's not an evil guy, he's matured so much, especially with his new responsibilities as a father and husband.
I'm shocked by Peri! She's mother to that sweet little angel, Cadence and 2 fine boys. Heydon's such a sexy dad (would it be sacrilegious to say that I think he's a tad hotter than Cooper-- sorry Beth? i think it's his dark hair and goatee. But Cooper still takes home the award for great dad) and he loves his wife-- poor him, must've been such a pain to watch his bandmate and wife flirt openly. I've a feeling he knows that smth's not right in their marriage and that there is a hint of 3rd-parties going on, the way he so quickly defended the band in front of Rafe. I can't wait for you to tell Heydon and peri's story!
I hope Shaun and Stevie work it out. Maybe this will be the one time she can stop running for herself and seriously share smth beautiful and share her spirit with, they're a sweet couple!
I'm still a little dazed about Aimee, i'll have to go back to read it again. I can't tell whether she's a serious bitch or a jealous girlfriend, I mean with a boyfriend like that.. sorry, I think I'm losing my train of thought. Will go back to read it. or if you could help me put her character in perspective?
Loved the shots! The fireworks were fun and everyone looked smoking in their swimwear. It always tickles me when sim men wear speedos. I'm from the guys-wear-boardshorts generation and speedos bring abt naughty thoughts... but I'm not complaining abt your men wearing them-- especially when they're all so hot! B's swimsuit was a particular wowser, the g-string bikini-- I'm surprised Daniel didn't say smth abt her! She's a hot momma herself!
Oooooh I can't wait wait wait for the next one! And you've to go in on Ryan the Bodyguard toO! love you loads Gayl!
This is a great chapter!!! I love the interactions with Rafe and the band. Seems like eveyone has secrets!lol
So Stevie is pregnant and doesn't want to be, huh. I wonder if she will bolt.....
The shots are gorgeous and so are your characters! Looking forward to more!
This chapter is off the charts! I don't think I have seen anything quite as beautifully shot as this scene was done - the details were exquisite - down to one character's gold shiny bikini. Well done. I definitely hope the new techniques work for you and you can continue to shoot this way - you are among the few out there with truly quality work. Oh yeah the story was really great too! (sorry I almost forgot I got an update on the story I was so impressed!) Stevie and Shaun's story is so sweet. Looking forward to updates on them as well! Thanks for a great update!
OK I have seriously been amiss at catching up with my comments here. Sorry about that...I hope you all know how much I appreciate each and every one.
Heydon and Peri will have some obstacles to work out very soon as will Shaun and Stevie. As for Rafe using anything poisonous...I don't think he will do anything that would not be in his best interest. It will be an interesting thing though to see where and how his interviews and articles go however.
The party was definitely eye opening in many ways.
Impeccable!!!
I love the relationships between all of your characters, very realistic. The conversation scenes really make it seem like you are standing there listening to everything going on.
Rafe is such a sweetheart, I am so glad for him and Gayle and good for him, Slim did good in choosing him.
As always great screens, you are a very talented sims photographer, the lighting is always perfect and the scenes are beautiful.
What is going on with Peri and Daniel? she has three beautiful kids with Heydon... Lol I am gonna get carried away, this is an excellent addition and I am headed to chapter 22 next.
Cherie
Oops, forgot to say, I love the size of the screen shots and...
Gayl is such a cute preggo simmie. 80)
I'm so glad you started this ... it gives me a chance to finally read your stuff (about which I've heard wonderful things - all of it deserved!) without being intimidated by the length of the first part of your story. Now that I've had an introduction to the characters, I'm going to have to make a point of catching up on Dark December.
Excellent start. What a complex set of characters!
LOL! Well you sort of started at the end Saoz but that's okay! It's a lot to read I will admit. If you think this was complex wait until you read the beginning! LOL!
I am slowly making my way through a few stories I need to catch up on.
Cherie, I am glad you liked the size of the images. Sometimes I think they are overwhelming. I'm still getting used to it compared to the small ones in the first chapters.
The relationships are very complex and I am looking forward to exploring some of those characters I left behind in the first 20 chapters.
Oh man, that was some party! I can understand why Cooper would be worried. I believe Rafe, though, when he said he wasn't there to dig up any dirt about them.
I like how protective and thoughtful he is towards Gayle. He really is a sweet guy.
The fireworks were awesome! Nice job! I wished I could have been there to actually watch them!
So, Stevie is expecting a baby too. Looks like she's got herself a real special guy. He willing to patiently stick it out for her. What a sweetheart! I hope she realizes that... how does that old saying go? ...it's better to have loved once fully, than not at all! Love is all about risk and opening yourself up to one another. They make a cute couple! And I think she'll do just fine being a mother... kind of comes with the territory, you know! :D
Yes, Shaun wants to definitely be there for the long haul. Stevie however is scared to death. They are a great couple though.
The fireworks were hard to get in there, let me tell you...and Rafe is sweet but believe me not too many people see that side of him. Mostly they get the glare and the growl.
It was a fun chapter to write.
Post a Comment